A One size fits all system for...everything?

PC and MAC news and discussions.

A One size fits all system for...everything?

Postby Rhetro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:29 am

Hello all.

My Mame sys finally crapped out (after 15 years). I've been getting BSOD and my tech said it's time to get a new system. I was running a PC on XP that was NOT connected to the internet. I'd like to resume with this MO and I'm not in a huge hurry, but I figured this is the place to ask:

I basically want a one size fits all system to essentially play/catalog everything on this website -or close to it. Is this possible? Is there a combination of hardware/software that can accommodate this seemingly audacious request?

My tech is interested in putting a system together for me, and his first question was what OS would you like to use. I told him Windows 7, but he recommended that I make the jump to windows 10 as 7 will no longer be supported. I didn't think this was a huge issue since I'm not planning on having it connected to the internet once configured. I'm leaning towards windows 7 but my bias isn't founded on anything other than what seems to be popular.

My tech is going to give me some ideas on hardware -which I will post here once he does.
BTW: I have a Wells Gardner 27'' that is 15 years old as well and just can't hang in there any more. So probably a flat panel as the CRTs just aren't supported anymore.

It might be easier for me just to tell you what my goals are:

My goal is to resume where I was:
1) Old school arcade/console /Home computer games. Mainly a Mame system. But love all the other stuff too.
perhaps a few new ones (I'm still talking retro like Half-Life I and II, etc -perhaps some current era games).
2) Use of lightguns (why I hung on to my CRT for so long)

Thanks for reading
Rhetro
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Not Sure

Re: A One size fits all system for...everything?

Postby Dragon Mech » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:55 am

personally i would go with windows 7 (preferably the Pro or Ultimate edition) since you arn't planning to have it connected to the internet (i would suggest that you at least fully update the os before you disconnect it from the internet after activating it).
but i'm one of those people that really dislikes certain things about windows 10 that i will not go into detail about in this post.

as far as the hardware, i can't be of much help. my knowledge is very limited and i wouldn't want to give you bad advice.
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Re: A One size fits all system for...everything?

Postby Rhetro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks, Dragon Mech!

That's where I'm leaning!

Cheers!
Rhetro

Fav System: Not Sure

Return to Modern Computing