HOW TO: Install LINUX with or without windows

PC and MAC news and discussions.

Re: HOW TO: Install LINUX with or without windows

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Switching to Linux And Why I Like Puppy Linux

Windows

Bill Gates made his money with the brilliant and evil idea of applying monopoly capitalism to computer software. In the early days of computers, only the hardware cost money and the software was freely shared. Indeed, for all of human history except the industrial age, the idea of intellectual property would have been considered insane if anyone had thought of it at all. The reason is simple: If I give you a physical item, then I no longer have it, so it's fair for you to give me something in return; if I give you an idea, I haven't lost anything -- there's even a good chance that we've both gained. Also, if ideas are shared by all, then everyone has the freedom and the incentive to improve them. If they are owned, only the owner has the freedom to improve them -- but the owner's incentive is to improve only one aspect of ideas: their usefulness in generating "profit," or control measured in money.

Windows 98. Was easy to use, reasonably transparent, and it could run all the PC games from the mid-90's golden age. The programs that came with it were crap, but plenty of great free software worked on it But then Windows started to go bad -- or more precisely, the universal corporate personality forced Microsoft's programmers to define "better" in terms of profitability, increasing control, and bloat.

It's easy to understand why a corporation would want to control your computer and make money off you. Bloat is harder to explain, but it has something to do with our pyramid scheme economy, and also with intellectual property. If ideas are owned, the owner has to pay people to maintain and improve them. Then those people have a motive that often goes against the interests of both their employer and the public: they want to keep their jobs, so they will make the body of ideas they work on constantly bigger and more complicated.

Windows 2000 and ME were bigger than 98 without being more useful.

Windows XP was actually better in many ways -- good hardware and software support, relatively easy to use, and stable. But with updates you can't refuse, inner workings you can't change, and a "validation" system that effectively prevents an XP system from being sold or given away, it constantly reminds you that Microsoft owns your computer.

Vista misses no opportunity to be a highly visible failure, it's unbelievably slow, full of frustrating and pointless changes, incompatible with a surprising range of hardware and software, and it's not a bit more useful.

Windows 7 -- Windows 8 no comment as I have used neither.

Learning Linux

Under the surface of Linux operating systems is the command line, which is very much like the old Microsoft DOS prompt, you type in text commands to tell the computer what to do. Just a few years ago, no one could use Linux without having to frequently go to the command line, which was a big turn-off for the majority of home users. In most distros, having to use the command line is now less common, and easier, than having to reinstall Windows when it gets too corrupted.

There are now hundreds of Linux operating systems for different needs and preferences of users, which gives us something Microsoft denies us: the burden and responsibility of having a choice. The differences are important.

Having began with Ubuntu. because it's very popular, well-funded, and carefully designed to be easy for beginners. Like most of the big distros, it comes in the form of a downloadable live installer CD: You just find a computer with a fast connection and a CD burner, download a big file, burn it to a disk, pop it in your computer, restart, and it will boot up and lead you through the installation. But gave it up because of lack of dial up support.

New users should know that Linux is made by and for people who have a live ethernet cable or wireless. Pretty much any Linux system will easily do ethernet. Wireless is a little harder. You might have to go online and download a driver, but in most distros that is less a problem nowadays.

Distros

Distrowatch has good summaries of all but the most obscure distros.

An aggravating part of most distros is the password requirement for root user, but I think it's a holdover from the 1970's when many users shared one computer.

Full-sized Linux distros aren't any leaner or faster than Windows XP (or at least it's close enough to argue about). and the Xfce desktop is only the first step down.

Puppy

Technically, Puppy Linux doesn't even have a desktop environment but a window manager, JWM, which takes up less than 200 kilobytes. I wondered how such a tiny distro managed to work on a wider range of hardware than most big ones. The answer to that question is the same as the answer to this one: with a 1GHz microprocessor and 512MB RAM, why do I need something as small as Puppy?

70MB is not a small operating system,it's a reasonably sized operating system. It's plenty big enough to work with most hardware and to have graphic user interfaces for all the stuff that most users will be doing. Puppy has stuff that Windows doesn't have, like a DVD ripper, an ISO editor, and a convert-to-PDF utility. It even has stuff I don't need, like a spreadsheet utility and a code editor. When I click on a PDF link in Windows, the dreaded Adobe freezes the system for half a minute while it loads, and often crashes it. In Puppy, PDF's come up in two seconds on a basic viewer. After adding Firefox (Puppy comes with a smaller browser called Seamonkey) and Gimp (a powerful image editor), I'm still under 100MB.

The real question is, if you can do everything you need with a 100MB operating system, and if that system runs smoothly on old hardware, why do we need personal computers to keep getting more powerful? Well, because computer manufacturers want to keep making money -- or more precisely, because they have to keep up with a general pattern of runaway linear increase plunging toward catastrophe, what we innocently call "growth."

But after the economy of increase runs out of room to increase, we will still be doing what humans do best: adapting. And if we still have electricity and fiber optic lines, we can run quite a good internet with software that works on both old and new computers, which is Puppy's specialty.

Its creator, Barry Kauler, designed Puppy to run on almost any PC without leaving a footprint. The coolest thing about Puppy is that it doesn't even need a hard drive -- it boots off a CD and runs completely in RAM. Any changes and downloads are saved in a file that can go on a hard drive, a flash drive, or back to the CD. So you can carry around a virtual "computer" on a 25 cent disk that can run in any CD-bootable machine with at least 256MB RAM.

You can install Puppy to the hard drive if you want to, but it runs much faster off the CD because everything happens in RAM with no moving parts. Another thing I like is that I never have to enter a password. Puppy is inherently highly secure because every boot is like a fresh install. The only thing that ever gets saved is one big file in a special format. For Puppy to get a virus, it wouldn't be enough for someone to design a Linux virus -- someone would have to design a Puppy virus. I can go to the most dangerous places on the internet and get no adware, no spyware, nothing.

It's still a young distro and it's not perfect. The game selection is terrible. The windows don't have pretty rounded edges or cool shadow effects. Sometimes it crashes. I can tolerate that as I tolerated the Blue Screen of Death in most Windows versions I have used.

There are many versions of Puppy, and I like trying the different flavours available.

Another small distro that I like is Damn Small Linux, which is active again and Debian based.

Obviously, not a leadng edge or serious gamer distro, but with Steam porting games to Linux, who can guess what the future may hold?
puppybanner.gif
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby McMallee » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:25 am

Hi all.

Well after reading this post i've decided to give Linux a try & learn how to use it, the reason
being a friend of the wife asked if i could give her puter a clean install & the copy of XP she provided
gave the ever familliar "your copy of windows is not genuine" BS. :thumbdown: The disc WAS an original
copy but i guess its been used on a few computers in the past, frankly this is getting old & i'm tired
of it, its not the first time its happened to me & you only find this out after the install & you try to
activate it , there has to be a viable alternative out there & maybe this is it.

Now i'm no computer expert by any means, i'm 53 years old, self taught & no nothing of command
line basics nor any other OS but XP, the only reason i got a computer in the first place was that the
internet was a cheaper alternative to the telephone to keep in touch with my sister who got married
& moved to northern ireland. (i'm in australia) But as time went by & i learned more, its got to the
stage now where i can't live without the net & all it has to offer, yeah i'm addicted,
but i've stuck with XP simply because for what i do "it works".

After reading this post (and the warning disclaimer) i spent most of last night rumaging thru my junk boxes for parts (not willing to risk our main system) & threw together a rough & ready system so i could give Linux a try & not have to worry about fixing our main computer when i make mistakes, and believe me
i'll make plenty of those, would'nt be me if i did'nt, thats how i learn :roll:

System specs -- Motherboard Intel D865PERL 800FSB
CPU Intel P4 2.8 Ghz 800 FSB + Hyperthreaning
Graphic Nvidia AGP GF6200 256mB DDR2
Ram 2 Gig DDR 400
Hdd Seagate 120 Gb
LG DVD R drive
Power Supply 550 watt

An average system by todays standards but more than adequate for its intended purpose, after
initially loading xp the system had a few bugs, it needed a new battery to hold BIOS settings &
the correct time after reboot & a PITA problem of no sound output even though Device Manager
said the drivers were installed (no little icon present). Thinking the sound chip may have been faulty
& not one to give up easily i did a quick troll of the net for a motherboard manual, it turned out this
particular MB has a jumper option for front or rear sound output. Sure enough it was set to front
panel output, a quick reset of the jumpers & i was greeted with the familliar xp startup sound yay :thumbup: its alive lol.

Following the instructions & link at the start of this post i downloaded UBUNTU 12.10 which
came in zipped format & after extracting it with winrar i could'nt figure out how to burn it as an ISO
so i just burnt it on a dvd (was a tad too big for a cd) as data with nero, poped it in my new test rig,
booted up & it worked-- kinda, it would open a screen with 3 options, but would'nt self boot, after a few attempts it turned out i had to select the "install boot helper" option, after doing so LINUX loaded & i was greeted with the dual boot option & it worked :good: :cheers: :hi:

My initial thoughts of my first look at LINUX ---- I'M IMPRESSED :o :clap: :bow2:. :cheers:
this may be the alternative i've been hoping for, totally not what i expected.

When i get home from work tomorrow i'm going to redo it connected to the net this time to get the updates, drivers & basic software i need to get started, let the learning curve begin :typing:

:cheers: for the awsome post & easy to understand instructions, i probably would have never tried it
if not for this post :goodpost: :thankyou:
McMallee
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Atari 2600/NES/PS 1

Postby Hot Trout » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 am

Crusty that was an excellent postand I enjoyed reading it very much. I also love linux and am more familiar with the server versions, indeed as many already know, this entire site and forums runs on linux.

McMallee, good to hear you enjoyed this post and welcome to the forums and our small but perfectly formed community. I live in Northern Ireland by the way.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Thank you, McMallee and HT for the kind words, I wish I could lay claim to all the thoughts in my post, however I can not as I found the post on the net and copied it to open office,but forgot to copy the link and have been unable to locate the source. ( the downfall of deleting history and cookies on shutdown.) I am sure the author of the original post does not mind after reading your post, McMallee

That being said, I am a Puppy Linux user and enjoy the small distro, especially for some of the old computers i have laying around and are still ticking away. The nice thing about it is you can fatten the distro up to suit the specs of the computer you are using. And the words in the post mirror my thoughts on Microsoft and bloat, and their wanting to control your computer.

McMallee, you are still a young pup, and I am sure you will do well with Linux, we are never too old to learn, and new adventures in life are exciting. Your computer experience seems similar to mine, as although there was always a computer available, I never really had much to do with them until after I retired, then similar to you after discovering the wealth on the net I became hooked.

Welcome to TOC, and enjoy the site, and hopefully, you become an active part of this community. :welcome:

And :goodpost:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby Kherr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:24 pm

McMallee, I appreciate the kind words and I'm glad my how to could help you get set up with linux on your machine. I'm also glad you were smart enough to think ahead on getting a dummy machine built up (not a bad one to boot 8-) ) and dummy installed it onto there to get the hang of it.

It really does make me feel better hearing someone appreciate my work. :3

:hi:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby PMJPlay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 am

Kherr, you are one of the hardest working mods on this site.

Personally, I like Linux but it don't like my laptop very much probably due to the AMD APU. Ubuntu and all its relatives do not run on it and I am too lazy to find out why but I am thinking its due to my graphics. I want to try Fedora 18 in a few days but it may be a similar problem. So for now I am stuck on Windows 7 until I get a better option...
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Postby SE7EN » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 am

McMallee wrote:-snip-
After reading this post (and the warning disclaimer) i spent most of last night rumaging thru my junk boxes for parts (not willing to risk our main system) & threw together a rough & ready system so i could give Linux a try & not have to worry about fixing our main computer when i make mistakes, and believe me
i'll make plenty of those, would'nt be me if i did'nt, thats how i learn
System specs -- Motherboard Intel D865PERL 800FSB
CPU Intel P4 2.8 Ghz 800 FSB + Hyperthreaning
Graphic Nvidia AGP GF6200 256mB DDR2
Ram 2 Gig DDR 400
Hdd Seagate 120 Gb
LG DVD R drive
Power Supply 550 watt
Following the instructions & link at the start of this post i downloaded UBUNTU 12.10
My initial thoughts of my first look at LINUX ---- I'M IMPRESSED
this may be the alternative i've been hoping for, totally not what i expected.
When i get home from work tomorrow i'm going to redo it connected to the net this time to get the updates, drivers & basic software i need to get started, let the learning curve begin
for the awsome post & easy to understand instructions, i probably would have never tried it
if not for this post

I am glad to see you like Ubuntu. If you feel that it is running slow-ish on your computer, you may want to try one of the older versions, Ubuntu 10.10 is a great one. Also, with Ubuntu, you have the option to switch between desktop shells whenever you want, and I would definitely encourage you to try out the various ones if you stick with 12.10. XFCE and LDE are lightweight options (good for running newer distros on an older system, less eye-candy) Gnome 2 might be available (it's not as lightweight as the previous 2, but still easier on the system then default, decent amount of eye-candy). I believe Ubuntu is defaulting to Unity, while the majority of distros are using Gnome3, you should give it a spin too (I use both Unity and Gnome3, I can't decide which one I like better) and another good option is KDE. You should be able to go into your package manager and install XFCE, LDE, Gnome2, Gnome3, or KDE fairly easily; you can choose which one to use when you login (you can have them all installed, and switch between them depending on what you feel like, or use a nicer one for basic services, and switch to a lighter one if you need more system resources for a program) and all your installed programs will be available.
SE7EN
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 230
Next LVL Up at : 230

Fav System: Nintendo 64

Postby crustyasp46 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Another excellent 64 bit distro based on Ubuntu but I find much more newbie user friendly. A quality custom distro that seems to work well out of the box is Black Opal 64 release. Good friendly forum support, based in Australia.

Here is their description from their forums :

Black Opal 64 Release

Post Number:#1 by Moebius » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Preface:
The journey continues with the release of Black Opal 64. The question for each man to settle is not what he would do if he had means, time, influence and educational advantages; the question is what he will do with the things he has. The moment a man ceases to dream or to bemoan his lack of opportunities and resolutely looks his conditions in the face, and resolves to change them, he lays the corner-stone of a solid and honorable success. - Hamilton Wright Mabie.

Concept:
To provide an operating system which would target new users to Linux or computing in general. An easy to install system which is inviting and intuitive to use, enhanced with applications that the majority of users would require on a day by day basis, which could easily be tailored to any individuals needs. In creating this project, we would provide the nucleus of this system and through consultation with the public on our forum, continue to evolve into something that will become indispensable for personal computer users world wide. During this process, we would also like to teach you how to create your own system – Give a man a fish...

Installation:
Burn the downloaded ISO 'image' to a DVD and then boot from the DVD. Alternatively if you don't have an optical drive, you can create a startup disk to USB flash drive and then boot your computer from there.

Known Issues:
Lenses and Scopes are a new addition and unfortunately at time of release still have a bit to go to be considered polished. Lenses and scopes do require an internet connection to function correctly. During your initial usage of these, you may encounter an 'Ubuntu has reported a crash' dialogue box. DO NOT PANIC! It is an annoyance only at this stage. If you continue past the error, it will settle down of it's own accord. As further updates come through, they will become stable. If you are annoyed by this, you can remove individual lenses and scopes if you wish via Synaptic - personally I felt it was too good an option to leave out so I left them in even though they may cause a hiccup or two. This does not affect the stability of the system at all.

If you would like to be part of this project, you are more than welcome to do so in whatever form you would like. From a tester, suggester to artist and coder. It should be fun and informative and together we may well just change the world.

Licences:
By downloading and using this system you acknowledge that Codecs, Flash and Java are pre installed and agree to their respective licences.

DVD Live Session:
During the Live session, you will be able to experience all the environments included. To do so, simply 'Log out' and when you a greeted by the Log In screen again, type in 'opal' as a user name, click on the Oz Logo and choose which environment you would like, then simply hit [enter] for the password (there is no password).

Disclaimer:
Oz Unity 3.0 - Black Opal 64 is based on Canonicals Ubuntu 12.04. This is a long term support base. Whilst we've tried to test on as many different units as we could there is no guarantee it will work on all. If you like this remix, then GREAT! if not, thanks for trying but please don't 'hate' - we're simply trying to 'give back' to a community that has given us so much.

Credits:
This has been a collaborative work, taking on board suggestions provided by the Ultimate Edition Oz Community. In great part, I would like to thank (In no particular order); Blackwolf, INX, Linuxfreack, Miguelsanchez666, mmesantos1, Wind, Delicadaz, cyberboy109, LinuxPusher and JOHNNYG for their outstanding contributions, effort, diligence, motivation and friendship. Without them, we would not have this latest installment of Oz Unity. Take another bow gentlemen.

MD5Sum: 9e29f16600b4dcdbd074bda4a3444be4

Requirements:
64 Bit Architecture Computer
1Gb Ram (minimum)
13Gb Available HDD
Video Accelerator suggested but not essential.

Code: Select all
https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=365&t=4173
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby charlesDean » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi friends,
We can dual boot our PC having only single operating system, You all are aware with VMWare. Using this software we can take multiple os environment on a single os. Now VMware is using widely.

I hope that this post is helpful for you.
charlesDean

Fav System: Not Sure

Postby Kherr » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 pm

charlesDean wrote:Hi friends,
We can dual boot our PC having only single operating system, You all are aware with VMWare. Using this software we can take multiple os environment on a single os. Now VMware is using widely.

I hope that this post is helpful for you.

Yes, but it doesn't bring the performance that having it installed to the physical machine under dual boot does. :hi:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

PreviousNext

Return to Modern Computing