HOW TO: Install LINUX with or without windows

PC and MAC news and discussions.

Re: HOW TO: Install LINUX with or without windows

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:21 pm

luke83 wrote:
Ok im drunk as s*#! and im gonna wipe computer and put linux on. Good deia?

Cant wait to hear how this turned out :lol:

Well, Mr. Mooks, how well did the install go? There are a few questions I would have liked to ask, but I think I will let them ride,as from your posts you probably don't remember a whole lot. Something like waking up, and asking yourself who is this woman beside me and what happened? lol

Anyway I have my new modem and have made arrangements to install Ubuntu at my brothers, who has high speed. Wednesday will probably be when this happens. :good:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Good morning everyone! I am on my new Sony Vaio running Ubuntu 10.10. Not really sure how I got here but its running smooth so Im happy. Updates installed. Chrome is good. Just need to tweak all the extensions again with my preferences as Google Sync doesnt keep that data. Godda log into alot of sites and verify..idk stuff..

Then ill get Eclipse for my java programming as I have class tom mornin and dont wanna be left out.
Then ill start transfering all my data from my external back to my computer drive. I finally have it down to like 8 folders: Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents, Minecraft Backup, Portable Program Files (Which are Jdownloader Portable and Saver2) and workspace which contains all my java data. While that may 'seem' tidy its not because I have over 27,000 songs that I have to go thorugh and get rid of all the duplicates. I fixed 2 peoples computers recently and added all their music to mine and when that happens, alot of checking must be redone :shock:

Ill be here most the day so any questions (Crusty) feel free to let me know. My memory isnt so bad that I totally blacked out last night haha

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Mostly wanted to know about how long the updates and proprietary drivers took, as I would like an idea of how long I would have to be at my brothers place to get things up and running? A time frame would be nice, and I think his service is a cable company. I have no Idea what speed it is but I know it is fast as Gimp took less than five minutes to download. And on my dial up it was going to be a forever download. Thanks.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:42 pm

The actual install took about an hour and a half I would say. Normally I zero the hard drive with a disk I have but that takes forever so I just had linux overwrite everything for me. My laptop is completely linux. The updates took about 45 minutes including the drivers (which arent that big). So your lookin at prob a total of 2 and a half hour visit of set up, install, and update time. They if you wanted to get programs you would have to stay longer to download them before hand so you didnt have to get them over dial up

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:57 pm

That is not as bad as I thought it would be. I will be going with a new HD so that should be a plus. And pretty much know the programs I want to start with.Thanks.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Good deal. I know my install took longer because it had to over wright all my windows data first before it put ubuntu on. I know you said you had a 9.(10?) disk that you were going to use. If I were you I would consider getting the 10.10 before you install. They update for a reason but if your not worried about it then id say your pretty much set.

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:35 pm

I have 10.04, and I believe that it is supported for a while yet, and I think I'll stick with it for a bit.Then I can make my visit minimal for this time around. Most of the kinks are worked out in 10.04 and I want to try to work with minimal problems. Thanks.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby JAHGoVeg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:45 am

Guest wrote:Then ill get Eclipse for my java programming as I have class tom mornin and dont wanna be left out.

your taking a class to learn java?
That's me
JAHGoVeg
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 850

Fav System: SNES

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:49 am

JAHGoVeg wrote:
Guest wrote:Then ill get Eclipse for my java programming as I have class tom mornin and dont wanna be left out.

your taking a class to learn java?

Yes sirrr. Its alot of fun. Learning about inheritance atm

Postby JAHGoVeg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:39 pm

I am at swing right now. =)
That's me
JAHGoVeg
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: SNES