Frontend Suggestion

Having a problem downloading or using an Emulator. Not sure which Emulator to use. Post your questions here.

Frontend Suggestion

Postby bdushok » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:40 am

I've recently built a Mame machine running Mame 152 under Linux. We're having a lot of fun with it, but I'm not really happy with the frontend I'm using.

I have a lot of roms loaded and need a frontend which makes selecting from a large list easy. I would love a frontend that didn't display a huge list of games and instead displays them in categories. Perhaps displaying games in folders (i.e. Driving, Fighting, etc.) or filtering games by category would work. Filters would need to be cycled through using a button or joystick.

Does anyone know of a frontend that can do this? I need one which runs under Linux and can be controlled completely by arcade controls, not a keyboard.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bob
bdushok
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 5
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: C64

Re: Frontend Suggestion

Postby crustyasp46 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:22 am

I am not an emulator person, so can not give advise other than this site which is a list of frontends :
Code: Select all
http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/mamefrontends.htm
or here new and obsolete with comparison :
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Front-Ends

Hope you find what you are looking for. :D
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Re: Frontend Suggestion

Postby PMJPlay » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:02 am

Groovy Arcade Linux?

https://code.google.com/p/groovyarcade/

Groovy Arcade Linux is an up to date GNU/Linux system, in 64 or 32 bit liveCD/liveUSB versions. It can be installed from the LiveCD onto the hard drive, or booted from a USB flash drive.

It has the current bleeding edge Linux DRM with Kernel Mode Switching and includes patches to allow 15Khz operation for Arcade Monitors and NTSC/PAL TV output. It uses the newest versions of Xorg so that the Vsync works with OpenGL without tearing and running with the vertical refresh rate of the monitor. It uses AdvanceMenu or WahCade as a frontend. It uses a custom C program named SwitchRes that utilizes Xrandr and a custom modeline generator to dynamically mode switch to the most optimal resolution for emulation on an Arcade Monitor or other monitor types.

Basically everything is just about done for you in the LiveCD and you can enjoy almost flawless emulation, depending on your Arcade Monitors capabilities, and not have to do much technical setup or work at building things from source.
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Return to Support with Emulators