Wizardry disk images: what now?

Having a problem downloading or using an Emulator. Not sure which Emulator to use. Post your questions here.

Wizardry disk images: what now?

Postby SmokelessJoe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:16 pm

I was ecstatic to see the original release of Wizardry - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord in the Roms/IBM/PC-5150/Boot-Disks section! Hooray!

I've downloaded and extracted the files, so now I have a couple .IMG files that are small enough to fit on a double-density (360 kB) floppy disk. So far so good.

But now I'm stuck. I'm a total noob and I have no idea what to do with these files now.

Is there IBM PC emulator that can boot from these .IMG files?

Is there any way I could burn these to a floppy disk? I have an old 486 desktop with a 5.25" drive running Windows 3.1, if that helps.

Any help appreciated!
SmokelessJoe
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Not Sure

Re: Wizardry disk images: what now?

Postby SmokelessJoe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:53 pm

I tried using DOSBox with no luck, but tantalizing results! Here's what happened:

Using the DOSBox command "boot", I can boot from a disk image. This should work great for old games that needed to be booted from a floppy, just like Wizardry. The command is:

boot /path/diskimage

If I try the boot command with the file I got from:

Wizardry - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (198x)(Sir-Tech Software, Inc)[Orginal Release][Master Disk].zip

I get the error "Can't find system disk".

If, however, I try the boot command with the file:

Wizardry - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (198x)(Sir-Tech Software, Inc)[Re-Release][Master Disk].zip

DOSBox boots it just fine and I can play the re-release version of Wizardry. Nice, but I wanted to play the original release.

Both files are from the Roms/IBM/PC-5150/Boot-Disks directory. It looks like it's just the "Original Release" that I can't use with DOSBox.

Any ideas on what to do now? I'd really like to play the Original Release version. Thanks!
SmokelessJoe

Fav System: Not Sure

Postby te_lanus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:00 am

The only Emu I found that could run "Wizardry - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (198x)(Sir-Tech Software, Inc)[Orginal Release][Master Disk]" is MESS, using the Ibm5150 Driver.

Dosbox, PCEM & PCE couldn't run the disks in my test
te_lanus
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 670
Next LVL Up at : 670

Fav System: Everything 1980-2000

Postby burntbiscuit_99 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:01 pm

How did you get the original Wizardry working with the Mess/IBM5150 combo? I was able to get it going but when I got to the point of playing the game it says I need to make a scenario disk. I started the emulator with the scenario disk mapped to flop2. When I went to the utilities portion to create the scenario disk it asked if I had 1 or 2 drives. I said 2. It then said to insert the master disk in drive 1. It should have been there already because I started the game off that disk and the master disk image was mapped to flop1. I keep pressing return and it doesn't recognize the master disk and I get stuck there.

I've played around with things for a while and still can't figure it out. Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
burntbiscuit_99

Fav System: IBM PC
Steam ID: None

Postby burntbiscuit_99 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 pm

Nevermind - the problem was that I shouldn't have mapped the scenario disk to flop2. Instead I just booted off the master disk image in flop1 and then when it asked for the scenario disk I brought up the MESS console to swap the scenario disk into flop1 and made it read/write. From there I was home free and playing Wizardry like I used to on my PCJr!
burntbiscuit_99

Fav System: IBM PC
Steam ID: None

Return to Support with Emulators